Buchanan County Snow Removal Bids:
The Buchanan County Board of Supervisors will accept bids for a contract for snow removal at any or all of the following locations:
1. Parking lots, sidewalks and areas located on the east, north, west and south sides of the Buchanan County Courthouse/Jail complex, 210 5th Ave. N.E., Independence, Iowa.
2. Parking lot and sidewalks at the Buchanan County Human Services/Public Health building, 1413 1st St. West, Independence, Iowa.
3. Parking lot and sidewalks at the Buchanan County Senior Center building, 400 5th Ave N.E., Independence, Iowa.
Bids must be submitted for each location on a seasonal basis.
The proposed contract will have the following provisions:
1. Snow removal shall be completed not later than 7:30 a.m.
2. Snow removal shall be required upon the accumulation of one (1) inch or more of snowfall.
3. The Contractor shall salt and sand the parking lots on County property. The Contractor shall be responsible for providing salt and sand.
4. The Contractor shall salt and sand the parking lots at a time to be determined by Buchanan County custodial staff or a member of the Buchanan County Board of Supervisors.
5. When snowfall occurs or continues during business hours, full snow removal will be delayed until after business hours are completed except snow will not be allowed to accumulate in excess of three (3) inches in the traveled ways.
6. The Contractor shall remove snow piles within 48 hours of snowfall at the Courthouse/Jail Complex and Senior Center Building locations. Snow pile areas will be determined by the Board of Supervisors. In the event that snow piles are not removed within 48 hours, the County shall assess a $100.00 penalty per day that the snow pile(s) remain.
7. Payment for service will be made monthly for five months beginning December 2017 and last payment to be made in April 2018.
8. The contract term shall be one year.
Within two (2) weeks following the County’s acceptance of a bid, the successful bidder must provide to the County proof of adequate liability insurance coverage. For purposes of this paragraph, “adequate liability insurance coverage” shall mean coverage amount of not less than Two Million Dollars ($2,000,000) for personal injury proximately caused by negligence of the contractor, Two Million Dollars ($2,000,000) for any one accident proximately caused by negligence of the contractor, and One Million Dollars ($1,000,000) for any damage to property proximately caused by negligence of the contractor. Said insurance policy shall name Buchanan County as an insured. Failure to provide such proof within two-week period shall be grounds for setting aside the bid and reopening the bidding process.
All bids shall be submitted on bid proposal forms which can be obtained at the County Auditor’s office or click on the below link. Bids must be submitted in a sealed envelope mailed or given to the Buchanan County Auditor’s office not later than 9:00 a.m., Monday, November 27, 2017. The words “snow bid” must be written on the outside of the envelope. Bids will be opened beginning at 9:15 a.m., November 27, 2017 in the Supervisors boardroom at the Buchanan County Courthouse. Buchanan County reserves the right to reject any or all bids.